From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:56:49 -0400
Recommended interview with Robert von Bahr, of the Bis label, conducted
by Dave Billinge and posted on Len Mullenger's now-resuscitated MusicWeb
site: http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2003/Sept03/bahr.htm

Some highlights:

- how some music publishers want to charge exorbitantly for recording
their music, 'scandalous[ly]' killing the chance of a release;

- about the red-ink warning label on my 'Brass Festival' CD (Bis 265,
with works by Holmboe, Madsen, etc.), unaccountable to anyone I'd asked
-- though we'd guessed it was a gimmick;

- how thumbs were turned down on a St. Matthew's Passion recording on
strictly unmusical, technical grounds;

- how video overcomplicates life for those steeped in sound recordings
alone;

- that Bis has all of 13 people on payroll;

- how all stock is kept in available with minimum print runs of 300; and

- on the refusal to release a bargain label.

Bert Bailey