From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:57:14 -0500
Not exactly extending this thread as intended, but the thread name fits.

Yesterday I saw an ad on TV for an electronic musical candle that really
burns.  It has a base of some sort of metal and when you light it (and it
really burns), the music starts to play.

What it plays, according to the ad, is the theme from the movie Somewhere
in Time.  This is an excellent soundtrack, with beautiful themes, but the
piece that the candle plays is the 18th Variation from Rachmaninoff's
Paganini Rhapsody.  Neither John Barry who composed the score nor
Rachmaninoff is mentioned on TV.

The Variation is actually used in the movie and on the soundtrack disk,
where it gets its proper attribution.  I believe I mentioned several years
ago that in the book, the protagonist's favorite piece of music was the
Mahler 10th, but in the screenplay, it was switched to the Rachmaninoff
piece.  The author also wrote his own screenplay and the change was made
for some reason.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan