From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:42:06 -0400
Tom Connor wrote about Rostropovich:

>I feel a need to comment on this musician.  In the 2 concerts I have
>attended with him performing, once as soloist in the Dvorak Concerto,
>once as conductor, (and I am embarrassed to admit I don't remember
>which Shostakovich symphony was on the program).  But, I do come away
>with an overpowering sense of what music can be.  And he seems to do this
>consistently.  ...

And I'll relay that one of the most memorable concerts I ever attended was
in the spring of 1990, when MR gave a series of concerts with the National
Symphony in the Kennedy Center.  These were the first given by them at home
following a triumphant tour of a post-Wall Soviet Union (his first time
back since leaving there as a "stateless" person).

Not only did he perform as soloist in the Dvorak, he came back after
intermission to conduct the Shostakovich 5.  Something not to be missed,
even if the location lacked the electricity that must surely have been
present when they were in the USSR.

>DP Horn, I envy your presence at these concerts.

As do we all....

Bill H.