From:
Johan van Veen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:33:57 +0200
Edgar Beach wrote:

>I recently received a recording of Brahm's German Requiem with John Eliot
>Gardiner conducting an orchestra whose name was French but I believe
>translated to "The Orchestra of Revolution and Romance" This is the first
>I have heard of this Orchestra.  I loved the name.  There were no liner
>notes on my copy so I know nothing of them Does anyone on the list know
>of them? Do they have other recordings? Their name intriqued me.

The original name is Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique, and it has
made several recordings:

- Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique (Philips)
- Beethoven: 9 symphonies (Archiv)
- Berlioz: Harold en Italie; Tristia (Philips)
- Verdi: Messa da requiem; Quattro Pezzi Sacri
- Beethoven: Leonore (version of Fidelio)
- Schumann: symphonies (Archiv?)
That is all I can think of. Maybe there is more.

>What other orchestras have similar exotic names.....or even better, what
>present day orchestras should probably change their name to something more
>than just the name of some city?

In France there are several orchestras which have fancyful names.  The one
I can think of right now is the Orchestra des Champs Elysees.

Johan van Veen
Utrecht (Netherlands)