From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 19:54:31 -0400
Some on this list may remember that I had written a letter to our public
radio station explaining that, in view of its replacing classical music
in the mornings w/ "Morning Edition" and "Weekend Edition", programs that
were being broadcast at the same time on WAMU, another area public radio
station, I was not responding to their solicitation for conributions.
Here is the reply I received today

   Thank you for contacting us about the morning program changes on WETA
   90.9 FM.  While I am sorry to learn that we have disappointed you, I do
   appreciate your having taken the time to share your views with me.

   While I understand that you are personally displeased with our decision
   to broadcast the BBC's 'World Update' and NPR's 'Morning Edition' and
   'Weekend Edition,' we sincerely believe that these changes are in the
   best interest of our regional audience.  Currently, we serve listeners
   far beyond the signal area that we share with other public radio
   stations in Washington.  In the near future, that coverage will extend
   even further.  Beginning this summer, we will begin broadcasting through
   a translator in Frederick, Maryland, and in the fall, through a repeater
   station in Loenardtown, Maryland.  In fat, we soon will be the only
   public radio signal available for approximately 300,000 people.

   Classical music will continue to be our predominant programming
   priority.  In fact, in the last year and a half we have increased our
   efforts to provide a greate range of classical music.  We have broadcast
   more live and pre-recorded concerts fr9om the Kennedy Center, Wolf Trap,
   and the Library of Congress.  And, we continue to work with Washington's
   major arts organizations such as the National Symphony Orchestra and the
   Washington Performing Arts Society, to bring more classical music
   concerts to WETA's listeners.

   Again, while I realize that you regret the programming schedule changes,
   WETA and I thank you for sharing your views with us.

     Sincerely,

     Sharon Rockefeller"

As I understand it, the view seems to be that, while classical music in the
mornings may be OK for people in the immediate vicinity of Washington DC,
it's not quite the cup of tea for listeners in the contemplated increased
area of the stations's outreach.

Walter Meyer