From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:37:00 +0100
Peter Lundin:

>...  From my experience of comparing MR performances (as conductor), from
>his CD cycle on Teldec and a few odd discs on other labels, with broadcasts
>from the London festival, he's always less interesting, has less to say,
>with his (heavily) edited non-live performances, especially those with the
>NSO, in Washington wereas those with LSO are tighter and more well defined.
>Its like; the NSO are 101 highly skilled musicians playing for onself,
>while the LSO is a TEAM of 101 highly skilled musicians.  (This comment is
>based on the Rostropovich DSCH recordings, neither the orchestras live
>performances nor what i might sound like today.)

I've heard the complete Teldec cycle twice, and I haven't (yet?) reached
the simple conclusion that LSO is consistently better than NSO.  Overall
I'm happy with the recordings, but it's not completely satisfactory.  4
out of 5 would my rating be.

I only know #5,7 and 10 -12 well enough to make a comparison with other
recordings.  They maybe lacking somewhat in intensity, but the recordings
are definitely idiomatic.

Deryk Barker continued:

#11 is not one of my favourites, but Jarvi/GSO(Live) did a much better job
back in 1990 or so........

Mikael