From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 07:41:53 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Steve Schwartz writes:
>
>>The Greatest Composer should be free of your likes and dislikes.
>
>Yet, it's "likes and dislikes" that determines the exposure that
>composers receive.  Popularity can be measured, but objective "greatness"
>is an impossibility.  Actually, who cares about it?  Each of us is going
>to listen to the composers whose music most leaves its print on us.

For many, I would wager that "greatness" can be measured, in part, to
popularity.

As to who cares about it?  I know that many of those in marketing find
that to be a valuable concept.  For me, it runs contrary to the very
notion of art...as one of my former teachers said..."ah, the masterpiece
syndrome."

 From my perspective, such thinking, and marketing, does not serve art.

Karl