From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:54:35 -0400
Bill Blank wrote:

>In Star Trek The Next Generation, episode #71, Sarek a Vulcan, cries
>during a performance of a "Mozart" quartet during the slow movement with
>Data playing his violin.  I have searched for this work without success.
>
>I recently found that it was a Brahms quartet in reality.  Does anyone
>know the work and recommend a recording?  The adagio is most compelling
>and I would like to hear the entire quartet,

If I remember correctly, it was a Brahms string sextet, (and my husband
and I had a good laugh over that!) but I am unable to remember which
one, but since there are only two, and most cds contain both of them,
do yourself a favor and get them right away.  They are magnificent!
No home should be without them.

By the way, if you would like more Brahms, for instance his three string
quartets, two viola quintets, clarinet quintet, piano quintet, piano
quartets, piano trios, clarinet sonatas, horn trio,clarinet trio and did
I forget anything (?)... then I can most heartily recommend the Brilliant
Classics box of the complete chambermusic of Brahms.  They are beautiful
recordings, great musicians, and you can't go wrong with any of them.
It won't set you back big bucks, either.

Mimi Ezust, always awake for Brahms