From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 18:36:50 +0200
Bernard Chasan lists his favourite piano concerti:

> Prokofiev- wrote 5, I believe.  The second is a favorite of mine.
> The NAxos set has received high praise.

Yes the second is one of my all time favourite pieces of music!  Especially
this recording with Toradze, Gergiev and the Kirov on Teldec is really
mind-blowing!  Before I thought the Ashekanazi recording on Decca is a
masterpiece, now I think its good but...

> Schoenberg.  Yes, THAT Schoenberg.  A very powerful work.

Indeed!  I love it!  There is a nice recording of this with Brendel and
Kubelik on DG!

> Schnittke - Concerto for Piano and Strings

Schnittke is great anyway!  Though I somehow prefer more his concerti for
solo string instruments!

> Rautawarra - I have not heard the one just recorded by the dedicatee,
> Ashekanozi, but the earlier ones are very good- perhaps his best
> work, IMHO.

I just picked up the recording of the third concerto!  Its very relaxed and
somehow elegant but I think I prefer the first two!

> Viila Lobos - Choros # 11.  A gigantic piano concerto- or is it three
> piano concerti? I am indebted to a member of this community, Achim
> Breiling, for bringing it to my attention.

Well, yes!  This was a great dicovery for me!  I was surprised that
Villa-Lobos wrote something that huge, dramatic, colourful, romantic and
expressive!  A tour de force, but really a great work!  I actually never
listened to any of V-Bs real piano concerti (there are 5, I think)!

Some piano concerti not yet mentioned - I think - I would also not want to
miss:

Reger, Respigi (concerto in modo misolidio), Norgard, Sumera and Henzes 2nd!

Achim Breiling