From:
Stirling Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:30:36 -0400
Professor Bernard Chasan wrote:

>And yet, the simple listener (to whose numbers I belong) really need not
>get involved in these doctrinal disputes, which are as relevant to us as
>the causes of the Thirty Year War.  He or she, ignoring the patronizing
>slights of the hard edged avant garde, and the poignant complaints of the
>tonalists, can simply partake of the feast.  Boulez? Sure, but there is
>also Messiaen, and Dutellieux.

Which is my point.  As long as you think of yourself as a consumer, you
will be treated as one.  Most peple are under the delusion that companies
make what people want, when more energy is actually invested in trying to
find ways of getting consumers to want what they already make.  There is
a certain arrogance in thinking of the world of classical music as merely
a spigot that produces sounds one likes, don't you think?

stirling s newberry
http://www.mp3.com/ssn