From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:45:42 -0600
Jacek Niecko:

>I have a somewhat vague sense that Andras Schiff's recording of The
>Clavier is still the best piano version of that work.
>
>What do the congnoscenti think?

I'm not one of the cognoscenti, and I haven't heard anywhere close to
all the versions out there so that my judgment would have any credibility.
I also have no idea what the word "best" means in this context.  Schiff
is definitely one of the better ones I've heard (I assume you're talking
about his first recording; I understand he's re-recorded it, but I haven't
heard it), but I also like several of Tureck's traversals and those of
several others.  All of the really good ones differ from each other.
All of them offer a different take on the music.  To me, you're asking
a question like "what's the highest star?"

Steve Schwartz