From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:01:08 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>...  The problem I have is 40+ years' worth of Gramophones which have
>overflowed a cupboard and are rapidly filling a bookshelf near another
>one that's nearly full of Fanfares.  ...  I considered donating them
>to the local library where they would probably only gather dust and
>present some unfortunate with a huge filing problem.

Speaking as a librarian, most of the libraries I know are interested in
only one copy of each issue, so if they subscribed and are missing issues,
they would probably be interested only in getting copies of those issues
they missed.

You may want to check with a library before donating to know what their
disposal process might be.  As a State institution we can only sell
surplus in lots and then, if not sold, they are destroyed...by law.

In Texas we have a chain of stores called half price where periodicals,
books, records, CDs etc.  are sold.  That is another way to recycle.

For me, the most likely solution is the one Dave has chosen for his
catalogs, offer them to someone who might have the interest.

It just seems to me that with more online resources being available,
periodicals are more disposable than ever.

Along those lines, considering some of the changes I am experiencing at
our institution, I would also suggest other alternatives for unwanted
recordings.

It seems that the emphasis (even at a large institution such as ours)
is to support the current teaching needs with long term research value
being far less important...and difficult to support.  So if it is a set
of Beethoven Symphonies and they don't have, they might want it, but if
it is a set of the Holmboe Symphonies...give it to a friend.

Karl