From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:03:27 -0700
Picked up the Nielsen Symphonies at great prices at my local tower outlet:
3/6 with Berglund/RDO; 1/2 with Jarvi/GSO; and 4/5 with Saraste/FRSO.  I
found very positive reviews for the Berglund and the Saraste.  The Penguin
Guide/Gramophone was a little hesitant about the Jarvi--they found great
eloquence in the middle mov'ts, (the mov'ts I'm most particular about),
but felt the outer sections to be a little rushed.

Being that I know *nothing* of Neilsen, are these performances worthy to
stand alone in my collection? (As a lister from the Old World once pointed
out, as a North American music lover, I am only allowed to own *one*
performance of any given work--a difficult cultural attribute indeed, and
much harder to abide by than that of my naive optimism and rough-hewn good
looks....)

John Smyth