From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:53:58 +0200
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]> reports:

>Edo de Waart's conducting was often only adequate.  The introduction to
>Act I from its very opening bars lacked all impact, and in fact virtually
>all parts of the work except those which monotonously turn up on highlights
>discs were played with a similar hopeless lack of insight.  The results was
>a lack of total unity that this work deserved.  Not a single one of the
>singers with the remarkable exception of Ekkehard Wlaschiha as Alberich
>had any deep penetrating insight at all into the character they were
>portraying.  Albert Bonnema was grossly miscast as Siegfried and would be
>far better off singing the role of Mime.  Elizabeth Connell as Bruennhilde
>was often excellent.

I had to smile when I read Mr. Satoshi's in disappointment written sarcsm
on Sydneys Goetterdaemmerung, that the Siegfriedtenor should have sung Mime
and other things. I am however sorry that Mr. Satoshi and the rest of the
audience had to hear such a lousy performance. Wagner had very high demands
upon his performances to get a fair performance, and he had probably turned
in his grave if he had heard this performance.

Thats a pity, then "Die Goetterdaemmerung" could be absolutely wonderful
when performed in a good way.  I can wish Mr. Satoshi should have attended
the Ring at Dalhalla Festival instead, as those performances were
outstanding.  But one cannot have everything, and I, as refuge, can always
sink down into a Schopenhauerian resignation that one have to wait 7 years
to get tickets to the Festival at Bayreuth.

Mats Norrman