From:
Christopher Rosevear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 18:37:28 -0000
Walter Meyer's question on the dialectal and very changed version at
http://ingeb.org/Lieder/ichweiss.html:

>My question, should any care to undertake a reply, is, what is the dialect
>in which the last translation is written? I thought at first it might be
>Yiddish, but I quickly rejected that in view of the contents.  The story is
>changed to that of Papa, Mama, and the kids taking a boat or raft up the
>Elbe, either from East Germany or possibly Czechoslovakia.  The text is
>clearly a variant of German and not Czech.

It is awfully like Rhenish (gomisch --> komisch, Freilein --> Fraeulein)
(as spoken still in some parts of Koeln and on the Rhine in Alsace) but
there is also a strong smack of Bayerisch (uffm --> auf dem).  Even more
confusing, the Elbe is the main river mentioned, which would lead to
thinking Plattdeutsch (flatland German, even further North than high up
the river German "hochdeutsch"; but then it would be "ikk wees neut..")

Christopher Rosevear