From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:02:22 -0600
Len Fehskens corrects me regarding my Pachelbel reference:

>>4) If it's a pounding metronomic drum beat emanating from a car, and
>>your windows rattle as the car passes by your home, then it's not
>>classical music (definitely not Pachelbel).
>
>Then you'd probably be interested in "Surfin' Pachelbel" by Liv and Let
>Liv, a tune I heard on recent NPR "All Things Considered" broadcast...

I haven't heard "Surfin' Pachelbel", but actually I realize now that my
choice of Pachelbel as someone least likely to be heard with a pounding
rhythm was a bad one. Come to think of it, I've heard many rip-offs of
Pachelbel's Cannon in popular music.

It's so easy to get away with stealing material from "classical music"
(whatever that is) and packaging it as pop. The endemic lack of regard
by the pop music-listening public for the origins of the music they
listen to sets them up for these con jobs.

... which makes me wonder if history is an important aspect of classical
music that is absent (relatively speaking) from many other genres. For
example, one's "classical" CD collection may span several centuries of
music, whereas a pop collection would span decades (if that). To express
this in another way:

   classical / centuries  = pop / decades

(Now I'm on my soap box...) I think that our exposure to centuries of
music, and the culture and history that is inextricably tied to the
music, broadens our minds in ways that pop-music fans deprive themselves
of. I suppose an appropriate analogy is comparing a child's perspective
on life with an adult's. How can a child appreciate the meaning of 20
years (e.g.)?

Mike