From:
"William J. Karzas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 02:40:14 -0700
Walter Meyer interpreted WETA's defense of its morning programming changes
with a (perhaps flip) comment:

>As I understand it, the view seems to be that, while classical music in the
>mornings may be OK for people in the immediate vicinity of Washington DC,
>it's not quite the cup of tea for listeners in the contemplated increased
>area of the stations's outreach."

I think a more careful reading of the WETA response would note that it
was concerned about getting the NPR news programs "Morning Edition" and
"Weekend Edition" to an audience of some 300,000 which otherwise would not
receive them.  It would gladly provide CM when there were other sources of
the news, as "in the immdiate vicinity of Washington DC." It is clearly a
matter of perceived priorities.

Regards,

Bill Karzas                     [log in to unmask]