From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:44:32 EST
Mats Norman ambiguously recommended:

>Horowitz/Toscanini

Studio '41, or broadcast '43, or both?

There are reasons to like or dislike these recordings as copious as
reasons to like or dislike Horowitz; rather than bring up this debate I'll
simply say that I personally like these recordings, although I would not
recommend either as a 'first' recording, idiosyncratic, Horowitzian and
'spirit rather than letter' recordings that they are.  (And with my delight
for both deviation and detail, I'll point out that if you hear these
recordings first, you might not notice that the arpeggio Horowitz adds
at the climax of the cadenza in the third movement, which no doubt causes
Jocelyn to cringe in horror, and which thrills me to no end, is not in the
score.) I'd like to point out that to save quite a few pfennig, you can
hear the Shostakovich 2nd (with Ortiz) recently mentioned here, and a
more sober Tchaikovsky 1st, with Gutierrez (also recently mentioned)
on Seraphim, CES 5-68536-2, and this is a good 'first' recording (also
coupled with Spivakov/Ozawa on the violin concerto).  I'll second the Van
Cliburn and Argerich recordings as good interpretations (shhh...don't tell
anyone though), and leave it to other capable list members which of these
recordings are those artists' best.  My personal favorite is ever
Cherkassky/Ludwig which is on Cherkassky's second pair of discs in the
Philips Great Pianists series, coupled with the unjustly neglected 2nd,
and Cherkassky's glorious Kreisleriana and Symphonic Etudes.

I'd like to apologize again for my scattered and unrefined prose, and in
advance for all future posts.:)

Regards,
Michael Cooper ([log in to unmask])