From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:22:06 +0100
This recommendation is easy.

There is a CD of live/BPO recordings by Furtwangler of Wagner orchestral
music.  The Funeral March is the greatest I have ever heard and the Die
Meistersinger Oveture from the same concert (1949, Berlin) was said by
Bob Ardoin to be one of those recordings those those who love music hope
for.  The rubato, drama and playing are stunning.  But, for me, it is
the Good Friday music from a live concert on Egypt which takes the palm.
The music begins with elemental, violent power and then transfigures as
the BPO strings almost fill with light.  Extrodinary playing.  It's as
if the orchestra is singing.

I have this on a Japanses DG originals issue but it is avalable as part
of a boxed set on DG too.  The sound is surprising natural and full.

It is unmissable.

Kind regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK