From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:14:47 -0500
Ravi Narasimhan wrote:

>I cancelled a gym membership because the policy was to have the radio
>on at all times, usually to a hard rock station where the thumping beats
>came through the equipment even if I had earplugs in.

There was a "fitness center" (and golf course) in rural England which
I used for a while in the early '90s.  An hour later the place was full
of the walking wounded and the unemployable, but at opening time in the
morning there wouldn't be anybody there but me, and one morning the girl
from the reception desk rushed in to start up the Mickey Mouse pop, and
I yelled at her not to.  She brightened up immediately: "You don't want
the music?" She knew she was going to listen to it all day, and she
didn't like it either.

The people who were responsible for everything were old farts in
three-piece suits in an office upstairs, who never exercised at all!

Donald Clarke