From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 23:37:58 +0100
Amanda Wei [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what is the difference between recapitulation and
>exposition of first movemant of Haydn's Smphony No.94? Thanks a lot!

The movement looks like this:

The slow introduction is not a part of the exposition, just merely an
exposition, but it might be a first pit-fall, also because the harmonic
circumstances are a bit fuzzy.  The introduction, which goes in G-Major,
stops at a dominatseptima accord, and the main theme (& exposition) starts
at "Vivace Assai", not in expected G-Major, but in the subdominatparallel;
A-Minor.  Then it reaches the "correct" key first after three bars, and
while the whole orchestra plays, the first violins present the second
stanza of the main theme.  This themes first five notes are the primordial
material on which the development is built.  The corresponding side theme
starts at bar 80, and the exposition comes to end at bar 108, where the
development starts.  The recapitulation starts at bar 155, where not just
the strings play the main theme (introduction was left out), but also the
Flute, which gives a "colder" sound.  Oboe is added to intertwine with
2nd violins.  At bar 160 the full orchestra sets in, and the passage that
follows is like in the exposition, just with the 3/8 notes in woodwinds
split up into ornaments (=blahee blahaa in English).  At bar 173ff is the
same as at bar 35ff, just with added woodwinds.  At bar 180ff there is
a fat stolle inserted that leads to a rather long coda, on which I am
unsecure where is actually starts.  Possibly so at bar 211.  There are
several remiscences to the side theme.  Then there is the end at bar 258.
And yes, there is actually a timpani hit in the second movemnt.

Hope my crowfoots is a start...

Mats Norrman