From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 07:53:27 +1000
Karl reponds to Steve:

>> It has enough themes to make another symphony. The argument gets
>> cloudy. It's like finding yourself in a cluttered attic. Furthermore,
>> not all the sections reach the same high level, and, as I say, the
>> intent gets blunted.
>
>I would like to second Steve's appraisal of the music, however,
>the clutter has not limited my appreciation for the music.

Nor mine.  I nominated this CD as my purchase of 2006 and have returned
to it often.  I don't hear clutter, just exciting, absorbing music.  I've
seen similar criticism of the first two Dvorak symphonies, which also
appeal to me strongly.

>I have several airchecks of Arnell's music including performances of
>his Violin Concerto (National Orchestral Association), Piano Concerto,
>conducted by Bernard Herrmann, and most of the Symphonies. For me, the
>release of any of Arnell's music is a source of great enjoyment. He
>might not be of the level of a Vaughan Williams or Walton, but I am more
>than happy to make room for him in my collection...and eagerly await
>other releases of his music.

Dutton Epoch CDLX 7184 contains his Symphony No 2 and Piano Concerto and
was released in the UK several months ago.  I've not read if Dutton has
further plans for Arnell, but I too eagerly await more releases, either
from them or from Toccata.  Add to this the progressive restoration of
Lyrita's catalogue, and times are good for lovers of lesser-known British
music.

Richard Pennycuick