From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:40:54 -0800
Mitch Friedfeld wrote:

>Probably the best value in classical music today -- if you are judging
>by notes per disc -- is Boris Berezovsky's traversal of several Godowsky
>transcriptions of Chopin, played side-by-side with the original.
>Unbelievable that anyone can play this fast and this accurately.  And
>it was a live performance!  If Godowsky himself played these at speed,
>first, no wonder he needed X-rays; second, I bet they came out blurred.

How do they compare with Hamelin?  I have a video of Hamelin in concert
and he can play them live as well.

BTW "transcriptions" is not really an accurate term.  LG himself called
them studies (I presume we're talking about Godowsky's version of the
etudes?)

While the left-hand ones (22 out of 53 IIRC) do tend to be faithful to
the original (and a major source for Ravel when he was writing his LH
concerto) the rest go way beyond mere transcribing.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>