From:
Sam Pawlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:44:14 -0700
Donald Satz wrote:

>I recently picked up the second recording of Mozart piano concertos
>performed by Keith Jarrett/Dennis Russell Davies and the Stuttgarter
>Kammerorchester on ECM.

Good to see some Jarrett admirers here. I like his Bach well enough but
found the Shostakovich a little ethereal but that's because of the ECM
production. I find all of ECM's production like that. With a creative giant
like Jarrett, why would you try and make him sound like the Zamfir of the
keyboard?

Don, have you tried any of his jazz stuff? He is a great improviser and
very intense performer. The trio with Peacock&DeJohnette have made some
great records, The Cure, Live at the Blue Note and Bye BYe Blackbird.
Jarrett's solo stuff La Scala and Vienna Concert are fascination because
in the case of the latter he was recording Shost around the same time and
(perhaps unconsciously) quotes Bach and Shostakovich in his improvisations.
Sometimes a case of "too jazzy for the classicalcrowd and too classical for
the jaz crowd" though.

Sam Pawlett