From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 20:04:58 -0500
Richard Pennycuick writes:

>Steve Schwartz mentioned a symphony by Hadley which sent me to check
>in Grove as I knew the English Patrick Hadley mainly as a composer of
>vocal music.  Thus I discovered the American Henry Hadley, presumably
>the composer Steve referred to, but Grove says nothing of a symphony.
>If the book's handy, Steve, some more information would be interesting.

I'll do better and list the symphonies the compilers thought worthy of the
canon.  This book was published in 1942, and it seems a faithful record of
its time.  You might find some of the inclusions surprising and some of the
omissions a bit shocking.  My memory played tricks on me, as usual, in my
earlier post.  I am now typing directly from the table of contents.

   Bax: Symphony No. 3 in C
   Beethoven: Symphonies 1-9
   Bennett: Abraham Lincoln Symphony
   Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique
   Bloch: Symphony {sic} "America"
   Borodin: Symphony No. 2 in b
   Brahms: Symphonies 1-4
   Bruckner: Symphonies 4, 7, 9
   Chausson: Symphony  in Bb
   Copland: Dance Symphony
   Dvorak: Symphonies 8 and 9
   Elgar: Symphonies 1-2
   Franck: Symphony in d
   Glazunov: Symphony No. 5 in Bb
   Goldmark: Symphony in Eb "Rustic Wedding"
   Hadley: Symphony No. 4 "North, East, South, West"
   Hanson: Symphonies 1-3
   Haydn: Symphonies 18, 86, 93-95, 97-104
   Hill: Symphonies 2-3
   Honegger: Symphony No. 1
   d'Indy: Symphony No. 2 in Bb
   Mahler: Symphonies 2-5
   Mason: Symphony No. 3 in Bb "Lincoln"
   Mendelssohn: Symphonies 3-5
   Mozart: Symphonies 1, 12, 35-41
   Prokofieff: Classical Symphony
   Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 2 in e
   Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 in c "Organ"
   Schubert: Symphonies 6-9
   Schumann: Symphonies 1-4
   Shostakovich: Symphony No. 1
   Sibelius: Symphonies 1-7