From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 23:11:40 GMT
Right now, I'm listening to Berio's Sequenza XII for Bassoon and I'm
having a hard time hearing when the artist, Pascal Gallois, takes a breath!
The Sequenza is an amazing piece and Gallois is an incredible performer.
The sounds he can get out of his instrument are truly amazing.  How can he
inhale so much air so quickly and so quietly? I would not be surprised at
all if the reason I can't hear when a breath is being taken is because, not
being at all familiar with how a bassoon is played, I don't know what to
listen for.  I've learned from a past list discussion that alot of editing
of a recording can occur before it is put onto disc.  Is it possibile that
the sounds of Gallois inhaling have been edited out of the recording? If
editing has occurred, it wouldn't take away from my appreciation of all of
the Sequenzias.  I'm just very curious.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Ron Chaplin
Iselin, NJ, USA