From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:55:17 -0400
Andrew Carlan wrote:

>That's nothing.  Ozawa still needs training wheels and he has been
>conducting the Boston Symphony long enough that all the recommended
>recordings with that once great orchestra are from the early LP period
>and back.  Not that kind of deconstructing REALLY takes doing.

Not entirely.  Steinberg had a few good ones (Planets, Mathis der Mahler).
Leinsdorf did some nice Prokofiev and some other things.  I'm figuring
by "early LP" you mean mainly Munch, and I'm thinking Steinberg and
(especially) Leinsdorf are middle LP.  Early-middle?

Anyway, beyond that little nit, you won't get any argument from me.

Roger Hecht