Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 21:52:31 GMT
My own favorite Bloch orchestral work is the 3 Jewish Poems, of which
I have a recording on a Vanguard CD with the beautiful violin concerto.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I was first struck by the uncanny
similarity between the opening of the first of the Poems and the sound
that opens so many EMI tapes that I have, but there is, for me, so very
very much else to love about the work and I have heard, since, several
fine performances elsewhere as well.

I only recently got to hear- switching topic a little- the 4th of Bloch's
string quartets, and still haven't heard half of his first.  But there's
a fine cycle of five if ever there was.  I have some minor gripes with
the second piano quintet, the first movement of it anyhow (too much
doubling!!)- but no gripes about that finale (wow!), and anyhow write me
down as a certifiable Bloch fan...  (and a fan of one of his students,
Roger Sessions, and one of Sessions' friend Quincy Porter whose birthday
passed with .one. premiere recording of any of his music...  (but treasure
that one!)...)

-Eric Schissel