From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:59:52 -0400
Don Satz wrote on Sibelius symphonies by Berglund:

>>I don't know the EMI versions at all.  Any listmembers familiar with both
>>sources?

And Kar MIng answered:

>I'm not aware that Berglund has recorded two cycles for EMI.  The one
>that I'm familiar with is the release on EMI Forte - recorded in the
>mid-80's (if memory serves me right).  And yes, Berlund does go for a
>leaner approach for Sibelius symphonies in both EMI and Finlandia cycles.

His first cycle (EMI LP's) was with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra,
recorded from 1971 (Kullervo) to 1978 (2nd).  He also recorded most of
the symphonic poems with them during this period.  I don't know about US
releases, but I got them all as imports.  I heard a number of London and
Bournemouth performances and was at several of the sessions.  I think that
these are somewhat warmer than the Helsinki recordings; certainly they are
denser and heavier in orchestral texture.

Paavo Berglund's Bournemouth SO recordings of this repertoire and
of Nielsen and Shostakovich were distinguished documents of that
collaboration.  In fairness, I must disclose that I've known him since the
early 1970s and that he and my mentor Jascha Horenstein were old friends.

Berglund and I had the same London manager for a few years.  We both
conduct left-handed and used to joke about the manager trying to corner
the market on lefties...

Joel Lazar
Conductor, Bethesda MD