From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:54:18 PDT
Here are some new releases that discriminating tastes will not be able to do
without:

1.  As part of their Bach series, Hanssler is releasing some organ discs.
And, major surprise, Rilling is not the performer.  It's Kay Johannsen who
I've heard great things of from ARG and one acquaintance.  Has Bob heard
these recordings?  Is Bob leaving the land of enchantment for the
sophistication of the big city?  Will he find the savvy woman who he could
only dream of in Santa Fe?  What will he find?  I see a day-time soap opera
in the making.

2.  Volume ten of the Bach Suzuki series on BIS is upon us.  Of course, this
is a known series.  Everything is done well, and folks keep complaining
about the soprano. Suzuki's a loyal guy.

3.  In case you've been waiting for the next great Kreutzer recording, Orfeo
has just released a disc of his clarinet quartet, piano quartet, and piano
quintet.  The man knows his music.  So far, I've been impressed with each
disc of his that I've heard.

4.  Sibelius - Vanska - BIS - Legends.  That says it all.

5.  More Vainberg from Olympia, symphony no. 2 and a chamber symphony.
Steve will likely grab this up.

6.  Telarc is releasing a disc of KA Hartmann symphonies.  They won't sound
like the symphonies of JPE Hartmann, although KA did try to emulate his
predecessor.  He failed miserably.  Leo Botstein directs the proceedings,
fresh from his Dohnanyi symphonic triumph.  How about Botstein for the BSO?
I've heard that BSO subscribers are dying to get some KA Hartmann under
their belts.  Len, be patient.

Don Satz