From:
Rose Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:35:39 +1100
Hi I'm new to this group,

In regards to the issue of the popularity of classical music, I am
wondering if the popularity of classical music could be enhanced by raising
it's accessibility? This question probably doesn't mean much by itself, and
I am not out to offend anyone,  but I am wondering if the perfectionistic
tendencies of the music world are detrimental to it's ongoing success.

For instance, new composers seem to be criticised for producing works
that are acceptable to a wider audience. Music schools focus on producing
top flight performers rather than working with communities to bring an
appreciation of music to all levels of society. While talent does need to
be supported, unless classical music is brought to the community, I think
it is fair to say that the community is unlikely to come to the party. The
music industry is huge. Most teenagers say they love music, they just don't
identify many musical forms as their kind of music. But then, the popular
music industry considers marketability a priority. I don't mean to suggest
that the serious composers should sell out, just that unless more children
are exposed to classical music the market for it won't grow. I have
wondered if the classical music world would rather preach to the converted
than dirty its shoes entering the territory of the uninitiated.

I respect that performers, teachers and composers want to protect their
standards but I am wondering at what cost? Without an audience the careers
potential in the musical arts are more of a risk. Sorry if this sounds
preachy, it is just something I've often worried about and seemed to be
relevent to the discussion. Please don't take any offence at my meanderings
into this issue.

Regards
Rosie