From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:52:07 -0400
[log in to unmask] chides me

>If you're going to cite the old misogynist, Andrew, at least get it
>right...:-)

Apparently, I misquoted Samuel Johnson.  O.K., the exact words probably are
(since Deryk has an on-line Bartlett's)

>"a Woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hinder legs.
>It is not done well, but you are surprised to find it done at all."

But then I am commended for my point that Mehta should be Devil's Island
not put on a list:

>>That Mehta should appear on any list that includes the word "best" or
>>even "good" is something mighty to reckon with.
>
>How about a list of the Worst Conductors Ever to Conduct One of the
>World's Best Orchestras?

and still New York awaits the Messiah.  Probably, he won't come until he is
deserved.

Andrew E. Carlan
"Standing Up For Nielsen"