From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:27:54 -0600
Arri Bachrach responds to my post:

>Jim Tobin wrote:
>
>>...  In Wisconsin there are separate public radio networks for
>>classical music/news and for talk, and it is possible for listeners to
>>contribute to either.  ...
>
>do they provide playlists BEFORE they broadcast the music?20
>I live in NYC and since 9-11 the local NPR station has eliminated most
>of the classical music and no longer provides playlists.......

Funny you should ask.  Just checked their website--
www.wpr.org/music/archive.cfm -- and found:

   "Effective February 26, 2004, our music listings are only
   available starting the day after broadcast.  Information will
   continue to be available at all times from WPR Listener
   Services at 1-800-747-7444.  We apologize for what we hope
   will be a temporary inconvenience.  "Unfortunately, a recent
   ruling on the scope of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
   passed by Congress prohibits us from making advance play lists
   available to the public as long as we stream our broadcast
   service on the Internet.  WPR is working with CPB, NPR and
   similarly affected public radio stations around the country
   to secure permission from the music industry to reinstate
   this service.  Again, our sincere apologies."

Jim Tobin