From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:22:16 -0500
Dave Pitzer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>....well I suspect that Mr.  Gould's lack of wide-spread popularity can
>be attributed to two factors:  1) his inconsiderate and loud singing
>and 2) his very idiosyncratic interpretations.

How popular would you expect Mr. Gould to be? I would suspect he is pretty
popular as far as dead classical pianists go.  Sony has been making a
bundle by reissuing everything under the sun by Gould at full price, and
even with inflated number of CDs (eg his WTC on four CDs as opposed to
three CDs in the previous CBS release) they must be selling well---Sony
Classical (under Gelb) is reputed to be a well-oiled money-machine,
certainly not the kind to risk any cash by pushing an unpopular artist.

Ulvi