From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:57:20 +1000
David Harbin in the UK has a problem:

>I live in a row of terraced houses and my neighbours are away on holiday.
>They left their 20 year old treasure to look after himself and he has been
>playing rap c**p to the small hours.  Walls have been shaking and furniture
>slowing moving accross the room with the loud vibrations.
>
>Can anyone recommend some more effective recordings that I could play at
>high volumes to remind him that his neighbours like to sleep at midnight?

This thread has produced some usefull advice, but no one has pointed out
the dangers of the "tit for tat" method.

Some years ago in Port Moresby, with a friendly neighbour whose house, like
mine, was lightly built, and had glass louvre windows which were always
open, I was being annoyed by my neighbour playing, uncharacteristicly
loudly, local "sing sing" music, mainly drumming and wailing type song.

I thought I would give him a hint that others liked different music.  I
played, if I remember rightly, Brahms' Academic Festival Overture, loudly.
He then played a different track of the same kind as before.  I retaliated
with the 3,283,344 (1812 squared) Overture.  At that stage I went to bed,
at the other end of the house.

Next day he commented on the wonderful juxtaposition of the two cultures.
He knew exactly what I had been playing and enjoyed it immensely.  He would
have played musical ping-pong all night if I had been co-operative!

It is easy to be misunderstood.  People might think you are merely joining
in.

Alan Dudley