From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:26:17 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>I think that classical music will survive the lack of music education in
>public schools.  It isn't as if the music education was excellent in the
>past; it existed, I attended the classes, and I quickly dropped it from
>the brain when class was over.

This is especially true if it is treated as a routine academic subject:
memorize a lot of facts and regurgitate them on tests.  But that is (at
least in this country) an unconstitutional way to treat music: cruel and
unusual punishment.  Inventive teachers can do much better than that.

My younger son, just completing 6th grade, has never been a great CM fan,
but he has been in a CM class this year, and the other day he did an
astounding thing: he actually hummed a bit of Bach's Musette and asked me
if I recognized it.  So at least he is staying awake in the class, and I am
certainly grateful for the reinforcement of my efforts to get him to pay at
least a bit of attention to good music.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]