From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:18:25 -0600
Joel Hill wrote:

>Dave Harman Said:
>
>>Hyperion states their recording is the world premiere recording of the
>>complete work.
>
>They also state that the Mitchell/Strickland recording "has acquired
>something of a legendary status among collectors (it is extremely hard
>to come by)".

The notion of a "collectors' item" is, from my perspective, at best a
marketing tool. It depends on what people are collecting these days...a
recent find for me was the Manna Zucca Piano Concerto...and she is quite
a story. For me, while there are a fair number of exceptions, the idea
of a commercially issued US lp being a collector's item is a fairly
obscure notion...

There are several fine dealers like Polyphony, Parnassus, and my favorite,
Ars Antiqua.  All of these places can give you an idea of the relative
worth of your discs.  Ars Antiqua published a pricing guide...which may
be out of print.  If you want to have me check a few of their valuations,
let me know.  I have relied on it several times when doing appraisals.
Keep in mind, condition of the disc is extremely important.

And speaking of Piano Concertos...Dr. Allan Ho of Southern Illinois
University has perhaps the most complete listing of concerted works in
recording...amazingly long!

Karl