From:
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:04:49 +0000
This whole thread got me to thinking about Brahms' 4th.  I listened
to both Giulini's, Stokowski's stereo recording, Sanderling, Belholovek
and Walter.  Only the Giulini VPO failed to impress me (I don't care for
Klieber either).  For a lyrical approach Walter, Giulini (Chicago) and
Sanderling are beautiful.  A more dynamic rendering is offered by Stokowski
and Belohlavek.  All of these recordings include solos that are clear
and part of the tapestry.  Walter and Belohlavek in particular make sure
the timpani are included and not in the background.  Of them all, however,
Walter seems to capture the essence of the work more completely than the
others.  I like them all but I love Walter.

Stumpf