From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:05:47 -0700
Bert Bailey ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>...  barring a few superb, mostly early forays (Money, Twist & Shout,
>Dizzy Missy Lizzy), the Beatles were central to pop music but _very_
>peripheral to rock n'roll, which went near dormant during their reign.
>For that, in the 60s, we must look to others.

I tend to agree with you, although I think you understate the case to be
made for them as rockers.  Revolution?

>Mind you, you did smell the rat of a put-down from a confirmed rock 'n
>roller, and I wouldn't take issue.  That said, it's neither here nor there
>if Townshend did cast a slur, as his distinction stands: "Love me Do,"
>"Michelle," and "The Long & Winding Road" -- and most of what happened in
>between -- are _not_ rock 'n roll.  While far better, I agree, than "Mrs.
>Brown you've got an Ugly Daughter," and "Leaning on a Lamppost," they're of
>the same ilk.

Now here I can't agree.  (And BTW it's "Mrs. Brown you've got a *lovely*
daughter") MCartney did veer perislously close to music-hall IMHO with When
I'm 64 and dived in with both feet with Maxwell's Silver Hammer and Honey
Pie, but much of the rest of their output is wonderfully rich music, worth
listening to 3 1/2 decades after it was written.

Deryk Barker