From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 16:38:06 -0700
Mary Esterheld replies to me:

>>My only question is why haven't the major American orchestras taken up
>>this score?
>
> Ormandy and the Phila. Orch. performed the world premier of Rochberg
> Sym. #1 in 1958.

Yes, but they performed it with two movements cut out, and, as far as
I know, Ormandy never repeated it in subsequent seasons.  But why should
they be alone?  Neither San Francisco nor Chicago nor New York nor Boston
nor Cleveland can be said to have played the work to death.  THE most
influential performance in the past twenty years has probably been the
CD I reviewed.

Steve Schwartz