From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:13:01 -0800
Ralf Oehlmann ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>I also like Solti, but was always confused about my version.  Mine comes
>from the Solti Edition.  The cover claims DDD (published in 1984 like his
>famous full price version with that nice landscape cover).  As the booklet
>claims it was recorded in 1979 in Vienna, it cannot be a digital
>recording.

Decca made their first digital recordings in 1979 I believe. The first
digital recordings commerically issued were IIRC made by Denon in 1973.

>Where is the mistake? Is this version identical with his 1984 performance
>or did Solti recorded it twice?

Well, he could easily have recorded it twice, of course.  The first digital
New World I remember is the Kondrashin - also on Decca, also c1979/80.
Also VPO I think.

Deryk Barker