From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:23:17 PDT
Dan Schmidt wrote in response to me:

>>Objectively, I consider movie music a separate category not to be
>>compared with classical music.  Subjectively, I think that movie
>>music is generally of a lower quality/nature.
>
>Given those statements, I'd be curious to hear your feelings about
>Ballet music.

Well, I treat music for ballet as I treat music for opera - as pure music
which must stand on its own.  Since I don't attend ballet performances,
it's easy for me to go this route; I have no associations from the ballet
to concern myself about.

I also think that the music for ballet and opera are not subservient to the
opera or ballet, while music for movies is subservient.

Don Satz