From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:35:23 PDT
Chris Bonds wrote:

>I would think that a scientist would believe that scientific study
>of what people think constitutes a good piece is possible at least in
>principle.

I appreciate Chris' efforts to develop objective criteria to judge
the merits of a musical composition.  But, I think that the inherent
subjectivity of the reactions of people to music makes the efforts no more
than an interesting exercise which can not possibly result in anything
useful.

As an example, the first criterion Chris originally mentioned related to
the extent to which a work "avoids the obvious".  But, what is obvious to
one person could be something "out of the blue" to another.  So, right out
of the gate, we have "subjectivity" pervading the process.

Also, as other list members have stated, the value of objectively judging
a work means nothing compared to "do I like it, does it move me"?

Don Satz