From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 01:42:42 -0500
Kevin Sutton wrote:

I was recently in San Salvador performing with the National Symphony
>Orchestra there and was referred to as Maestro by everyone that I met.
>In that culture it is a title of courtesy and respect and although I have
>never, ever, insisted that anyone call me maestro, I appreciated the
>sincerity with which it was conferred upon me.

This is a half true.  Of course countries which use the same language,
not neccesarily have the same habits, but is easy to understand each
other easier than countries with a different language.For that reason,i
understand why Salvadorenos,use the word Maestro almost in the same way
many people use it in my country.But it doesn't mean it is correct.  As i
told in a previous E-Mail that word is pauperized now, and i feel guilty of
it too,because sometimes i use it with many people who don't really deserve
it,but i do it just for courtesy.In this case it is acceptable.Usually,
most people from Castilian speaking countries,are very friendly and
hospitalarious toward the foreighners,but believe me:If somebody call
somebody:Maestro,not necesarily means that guy thinks in the real
significance of that word.  But here is a different story.I think (if i
don't mistake) Mr." Duke"was speaking about a real significance of
words,and specially when them are used in a writing discussion.

>The word, after all, means "master" or one who has mastered his or her
>craft.  It could be equally applied to a master cabinet maker or a jeweler
>or anyone else who has attained a high level of mastery over a subject or
>craft.

Well,according to the linguistic significance of the word,Kevin is rigth.

>...  If someone calls me "maestro" I take it as a fine and high
>compliment.  If I choose to call another musician "maestro" I mean it out
>of a great deal of respect for that person's achievemnets and abilities.

I agree with it.

In general terms, i think outside of the public relations protocole,the word
Maestro should be "Economized".  Greetings.

Gerardo:.