From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:39:38 -0700
I wrote (just a couple of minutes ago, i fact):

>[William Banfield is apparently an African-American composer and
> professor at Indiana University.  -Dave]

Some more info found tucked at the bottom of a page of the IU Archives of
African American Music and Culture:

   Dr. William C. Banfield, Curator and Founder of the Undine
   Smith Moore Collection, is Assistant Professor in the Department
   of Afro-American Studies at Indiana University.  He is also
   Composer-in-Residence at the Afro-American Arts Institute and
   Director of the Indiana University Soul Revue.  He received his
   Bachelor's Degree in Music from the New England Conservatory of
   Music, Master's Degree in Theology from Boston University, and the
   Doctorate of Musical Arts (Composition) from the University of
   Michigan.

   Dr. Banfield's works include six symphonies, one opera, five
   concertos, two symphonic suites, seven chamber suites, three
   cantatas for orchestra and choir, four string quartets, music
   for mixed ensembles and solo instrumental works, and more than
   two hundred popular, gospel and jazz compositions.  He has had
   compositions commissioned and performed by the Detroit Metropolitan
   Orchestra, the Savannah Symphony, the Thamyris Atlanta Chamber
   Players, the Plymouth Music Series, the Minnesota Symphonia, the
   Bloomington Camarata Orchestra, the Indianapolis Symphony and the
   Eastern Philharmonic.  In 1994, the Akron Symphony, under the
   direction of Allen Balter, recorded Dr.  Banfield's Symphony No.
   Six:  Four Songs for Five American Voices on Tel-arch Records.  Two
   of his compositions were recorded on Atlantic Records by the all
   female jazz ensemble Straight Ahead.

I see a release of his chamber music has also been made available on
Innova Records.  An interesting interview with Banfield can be found at:

   http://php.indiana.edu/~afamarch/banfield.html

Dave
http://www.classical.net/