From:
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:26:56 -0500
Ron Ackermann queries:

>I have been in the market for a complete set of the Mozart piano sonatas
>for quite some time.  Can the list's piano experts comment on this
>set,Kraus' Sony set (currently available at Berkshire for $19.95) and
>anyother sets that are currently available and recommended?

Lili Kraus' sets are the finest available versions I have heard.  I
marginally prefer the spontinaity and joy of her M & A version, but could
easily be as content with the Sony (I have both).  The other complete
version I enjoy is the austere classicism of Klein on Vox.  I dislike Pires
and Eschenbach, and go into intractable seizures when I hear Gould (not
belying the intellectual interest it provides.) Uchida falls somewhere
inbetween mediocrity and greatness, but I find her a bit to cool and
detached.

JPrevite