From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:26:28 -0400
Nate DeMaria wrote:

>I love Barber's music.  I have a cd with his 2 essays for orchestra, the
>adagio, 1st symphony, music for a scene by shelley and the overture to a
>school for a scandal.  I love string section's dissonance, the chordal
>progression and the passion of the music.  Does anyone recommend other
>works by Barber that I may like?

Oh yes!  My very favorite Barber piece is his Violin Concerto.  It is a
stunning work.  The first two movements are very lush and passionate with
some of the most singing, luscious cooperation between the soloist and
orchestra ever conceived, only then in the third movement does the soloist
become a virtuoso.

Try his Piano and Cello Concertos, too.

Mark