From:
Martin Nickison II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:24:16 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>I'm looking for two or three good versions of Falla's Nights in the Garden
>of Spain.  It was one of my favorite works as a youngster, but I haven't
>heard it for decades.  Also, any opinions on the Pons version on Harmonia
>Mundi?

Donald, I'm with you!

When I was 10, I got some 78's from a school teacher at my school.  Among
them were first exposure to classical music (sans Nigel Kennedy's Four
Seasons--Damn, a good tape!).  The works were:

    1. Mozart's Piano Concerto 15 in B-Flat Major (Decca)
    2. Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony (Columbia Masterworks)
    3. Vol. 2 of 3--Bach's St. Matthus Passion (Decca)
    4. Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto 1 in B-Flat (RCA Victor)
    5. Falla-Night's in the Garden of Spain (Decca)

I took these 78 "books" home with me, and fired -up the turntable (I'm only
20, so in the late 80's they were no longer known as "record-players").

I started with the most noticable name, Mozart.  It put my Mother's
boyfriend to sleep in front of his plate, and drove me nuts.  I then worked
on the Mendelssohn, which was easier to digest, but still took time.  The
first set I warmed-up to was Tchaikovsky, then Mendelssohn, then Falla.  As
I grew up, I lost most of this collection; but the memories of the music
remained in my head . . .

After I got my second disc player in 1993 (a Phillips/Magnavox 5-disc
changer that still works), I started to get into the works I used to listen
to.  I know this is a long story--but here's the meat.....(sorry, I'm sans
vegataria)

I went to a local store, and the only version they had of this work was
part of a All-Falla program.  Being a former student of the rap and popular
music schools, the $10 price tag was all I needed!  It was by (the Night in
the Gardens of Spain aka Noches en los jardines de Espana) by the Orchestre
de la Societe des Concerts du Conservatoire with Gonzalo Soriano on Piano.
I LOVED THIS VERSION!  Still, it brings across tears.

I recommend this disc, as the Pantomina from the El Amor Brujo is described
in the liner notes to be transfered from a 4 th movement that was to be it
for the Noches in the jardines...  Plus, it's agreed this is the definitive
version of this work.  It's on Emi Classics, code CDM 7 64746 2.  If you
have a good vinyl player, get the $30 album remaster from classicrecs.com.
There version is so good......I wish I got that one...but who's complaining
about $10.

The Ponti (sp?) sounds clean (as Harmonia Mundi does well), a little slow
and softer than the accent Latin/Spanish rhythmic patterns dominant in
thier music.  Sounds 'Frencher'...no offence.

If you have a Cdnow account, just goto:

   http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=557836671/pagename=/RP/CDN/CLASS/muzealbum.html/ddcn=SD-7764+64746+2

and hear it.

best regard,