From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:21:53 +1000
I wrote, concerning Shostakovich's 11th:

>If you're prepared to listen to a mono version, the original Cluytens on
>Testament is, IMHO, second to none of the other 9 or 10 versions I've
>heard.

and Deryk Barker asked:

>Better than Stokowski?

Yes.  I knew the Stokowski from a friend's LPs from years ago and
eventually bought the CD.  I wasn't as impressed with it as I expected to
be and I find it a little restrained, which is a very unusual criticism to
make of a Stokowski performance!  I find the same thing with the Ashkenazy
in the first movement, although I think that's as much a function of the
recording.  However, I know the Stokowski has a very big reputation.
There's also a Moscow version by him on Russian Disc which I've not heard.
Anyone?

Richard Pennycuick