From:
Don Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:18:07 -0800
Christopher Webber writes:

> Mr. Morrison responded as he did to Joyce Hatto's Rachmaninov, largely
> because as he listened he had before him the vision of plucky, little old
> lady battling not only Rachmaninov but cancer.  He responded as most of
> us I hope would, with generous admiration for her remarkable achievement.
> Unless we're looking for a mechanised objectivity which would be intolerable
> even if it were achievable, I think we should rather applaud his humanity than
> deride his critical acumen.

I can't agree in the least with Mr. Webber.  First, let me state that
I have no interest in deriding Mr. Morrison's critical acumen.  He is
human and made a mistake; I would simply hope that he would accept his
error, give thought as to how to avoid such errors in the future and
just move on with his life.

I also have no interest in applauding his humanity, because that's not
his job as a reviewer of recordings.  That Ms.  Hatto was very sick is
not relevant when commenting on the merits of a recorded performance.
As a reader of reviews, I don't want reviewers giving a performer brownie
points for poor health.  Put another way, have we reached the point where
the "health-o-meter" is a consideration in the reviewer's conclusions?
I hope not.

Hatto's husband conducted a criminal activity for self-serving purposes.
He conned the world of classical music but was eventually exposed for
the "low-life" person he has been for decades.  I have no knowledge that
Ms. Hatto had any involvement in this mess and harbor no ill feelings
towards her.  However, that certainly does not mean that I am going to
award her any accolades for contracting a deadly disease.  The fact is
that this whole mess revolves around her husband; he's the guy to
concentrate on.

Don Satz